Thursday 20 November 2014

Working with low lighting

The past couple weeks I have been fiddling around with low lighting photography. I have always loved the look of it, but have never managed to take one that I was really happy with. So after doing a bit of research I decided to seriously give it a try, and am extremely happy with the results! A special thanks to my sister who was my guinea pig for this rather time consuming experiment,  and had to sit extremely still as I spent forever with changing my camera settings.

These first two here are my favourite. I had the shutter speed set to 1/4 of a second, and an ISO of 400, which worked out really well! Since the shutter speed was longer than normal and I do not have a tripod, it was a bit tricky to keep the pictures from becoming blurry, but it all worked out in the end.The light that you see is coming from a small window in our basement, and I especially love the way that the light caught perfectly in the details of her scarf.

 
And for this one I decided to try some black and white...
 


We also had some fun trying crazy things with the different settings. She turned her head once, not knowing I was taking a picture and it turned out pretty neat, in my opinion. I had my shutter speed set at 3 seconds at that time, with an ISO of 1600, and although its blurry and really doesn't follow any of the photography "rules" I just love the different feel that it has! Almost ethereal, with the way that you can see two faces...

 

So that's about all I have so far with this type of photography! An article that I found helpful can be found at http://www.discoverdigitalphotography.com/2014/low-key-photography-tips/ so check it out! And as always, feel free to post comments and suggestions, I would love to hear from you and get some advice!

No comments:

Post a Comment