Saturday 1 November 2014

Landscapes! and avoiding dull ones....


So today I am going to talk about landscape. The idea of doing landscape photography was never my favourite, because sometimes it seems like the picture just doesn't compare to the real thing. Plus all too often the image turns out looking flat and two dimensional.  But I decided to work on it first, mostly because of the beautiful fall colours that leave all too soon. So I did some research, and read some great articles that helped me to learn new tricks and techniques, which (I hope) worked! So here are the two techniques that I used the most in exploring landscapes:


1. Having a Focal Point
One thing that I overlooked all too often with landscape photography, is that you still need a main "subject" or focal point. This adds more depth to the picture, avoiding the flat, two dimensional look. So here are a few of my recent pics, my favourites are from a beautiful cloudy day last week. Focal point included! And, of course, the rule of thirds as well... although sometimes you just need to break that rule.

 
 
 
 
 
 Decided to have some fun with this next one and adjust the colour a bit:
 
 
 
2. Using Lines
Another technique is to use leading lines to guide the viewers through the picture, giving their eyes something to follow. In these pictures I used lines on roads. They are not my favourite photographs, but they do the trick!

 
 
 
And one of my favourite things about techniques, is that sometimes you can just break those rules and have fun with it!
 
 
So that concludes my exploration of landscape techniques, although I am certain I will use them again throughout this passion project. These pictures were actually a lot of fun to take, and I hope you enjoyed them as well. Till next time!
 
 
 


 

3 comments:

  1. Wow the first, second, and fourth pictures are absolutely stunning. Great work. I like that you are okay with breaking the rules and playing with new ideas. It makes it a lot more artistic and iconicaly you. And while it's hard to capture how a landscape scene looks in real life, I think you're doing a wonderful job of giving us a sense of what it actually looks and feels like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The vivid trees make me miss fall already! I agree with everything Thomas said (and he said it well), and I like how you illustrated your points with photos--very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Riley! These photos are absolutely amazing! You have done a great job exposing the photos and capturing Gods true beauty In your surroundings, I really love the last photo because of how vivid it is, and how the colours all seem to clash together. The first photo is also amazing and I think you managed to capture a Manitoban fall for sure, because of how the clouds are shaped and the colour of them , I also like how you used the old barn/shed In your photo, it makes it have more meaning!

    Yah! keep up the great work, I love them !

    Felicity

    ReplyDelete