Friday 14 November 2014

What I am looking for.


So what I am looking for is pretty much a lens that is a bit of a step up from the kit lens that I currently have (which is an AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR) So here are a few things that I am hoping to find in a potential new one!

Focal Length Range
One of the main things that I am looking for is one with a bit of a better focal length range (or "zoom") because as the 18-55mm is great for lots of everyday things, there are many times where a bit more zoom would be extremely helpful. Whether its for photographing nature or people, or anything really, it's always nice not to be so tied down with not being able to get as close as you like without physically getting closer to the subject. On the Nikon website I found an article that used a brilliant visual representation of different focal lengths.


So as you can see, my 18-55mm lens has some zoom, but I am hoping to upgrade to one that has a maximum zoom of around 135mm to 200mm. Once you start getting to the higher focal lengths you need to start using a tripod in order to avoid shaky or blurry pictures, and since I am looking for a "walk- around" lens I am not going worry about spending extra for a maximum focal length that I will rarely use, seeing as I am not going to carry a tripod around with me.

VR Image Stabilizer
A must for any lens that I am thinking about buying, is that it has to have VR (Vibration Reduction) Image stabilizer. Almost all lenses do, but it is definitely a great thing to have when you are not using a tripod (which is pretty much all the time in my case!)
 I also need an AF-S lens, because my camera does not have a built in focus motor.
 
Metal mount vs Plastic
Another (minor) thing that I am looking for in a lens is a metal mount, rather than a plastic mount. What that means is that the part of the lens that attaches to the camera will be metal, and thus a good deal stronger and able to withstand small bumps and such. While researching through some lens reviews I came across literally dozens of stories about the horrors of plastic mounts, and how, in some cases, the smallest bump will make the lens literally break off of the camera. (Yikes!) So considering I would like to keep this lens for a while and hope to use it for travelling and such, it would probably be worth the price increase to get a metal mount rather than risk paying more money later to fix a plastic one.
 
And as for the price range... Well I'm not quite sure yet. I don't really want to set one until I have an absolute idea of what I am going for!
 
So obviously this post did not include all  of the important aspects to a lens, but its a start! I have currently reduced the amount of lenses that I may be interested in to 5, and I will definitely be looking into much closer detail in order to pick the one that's right for me!



No comments:

Post a Comment