Monday 9 December 2013

Another portrait

This is another one of the portraits that I have been drawing, and it is the first sketch of someone that I, and possibly some of you reading this, know. It is a sketch of my lovely sister Kyra.


I was pretty happy with the way that this sketch turned out, although there are definitely some things that I have to work on with my future sketches. I used a normal "school pencil" and as you can see, the pencil strokes are very noticeable. I was having a hard time making them even, but hopefully with practise I will be able to eventually improve and make the strokes less noticeable. I am still trying to stay away from smudging my drawings ( though in this one I was very tempted!) :)
I also had a little trouble drawing the mouth, and those of you who know Kyra might notice that that part of the drawing may be a little off. And as for drawing the hair, I have decided that I might need a little more practise with that.
I recently got a pack of sketching pencils which include both light and dark pencils, so I am planning to play around with those and hopefully they might be easier to use for shading and such.

1 comment:

  1. As one of the readers who recognizes Kyra, I'm quite impressed. I Think your assessment is accurate, but this is excellent work, especially considering the fact that you're using only one standard pencil.

    Are you avoiding smudging to practice technique, or is smudging a breech of some etiquette?

    ReplyDelete