Monday 16 December 2013

Progress!

Here is another one of my completed portraits. This one is of my lovely sister Nicole, from a picture that I took  of her when she was 11. I am quite happy with the way that this picture turned out, and I was super exited to try out my new sketching pencils!
I have actually drawn this picture twice, the one above is the latest one that I have just finished. The first one that I did I drew almost 2 years ago. I sketched this picture again mainly because I wanted to see how I have improved in my sketching, and how much progress I have made. A big part of a passion project is measuring your progress, and sometimes this can be a little difficult with art, so I thought that this would be a great opportunity to see how far I have come.


Here are the two sketches. The one on the left is the one that I drew almost 2 years ago, and the drawing on the right is the most recent one. Its safe to say that I was pretty pleased with myself and pleasantly surprised when I first compared them. The second picture is noticeably better than the first, and I have gotten more comfortable with shading and adding darkness and shadows to my sketches. The second one is also a much more recognisable picture of Nicole, and I can see that my techniques have also improved!

1 comment:

  1. Can I have your autograph? :) It's really cool to see the side by side comparison. I'm glad you like your new sketching pencils, too - they let you stick with the no smudging plan. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete