Friday 25 October 2013

Coming soon...

The next art form that I am going to explore is felting: wet felting and needle felting. My Aunty Colleen, who is a wonderful artist, showed me felting when she came to visit this summer, and was lovely enough to leave me some supplies for it. So far I have only made a experiment picture, so I thought that it was high time for me to give it another go.

First, here is some history of felting. Long ago, shepherding nomadic peoples would put soft pieces of wool fluff into their shoes and under the saddles of their horses for warmth and comfort. Later, when they would take the wool out, they realized that it had turned into a sort of cloth. The friction and moisture caused the fibers of the wool fluff to fuse together, and the wool (or felt) could be used for many things, like clothes or tent coverings. It even could be used for art.

I will soon be posting more about this type of art, and hopefully be posting pictures of my own felting pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment